Mental Health Week 2019
Mental Health Week is part of a national mental health promotion campaign held in October each year, and incorporates World Mental Health Day, held globally on October 10th.
When: October 6-12Visit the MHCT website
We all have a role to play!
The purpose of this awareness week is to engage communities in activities that promote mental health and wellbeing while raising awareness and understanding about mental illness, and how it impacts on the lives of people in our community. This years theme is ‘we all have a role to play.’
What is that role exactly?
- Check in on your own mental health
- Check in on a neighbour
- Check in on a friend
- Check in on what’s happening in your community
- Check in for a mental health check up with a GP.
Start a conversation and promote mental health on social media using the following hash tags:
#checkin #mhw2019 #anglicareMHW
Mental health facts
- Every day, at least 6 Australians die from suicide and a further 30 people will attempt to take their own life.
- 45% of Australians (nearly one in two) have experienced a mental health disorder in their lifetime, with 20% experiencing a mental health disorder in the previous year (Australian Bureau of Statistics 2007).
- 54% of people with mental illness do not access any treatment. The proportion of people with mental illness accessing treatment is half that of people with physical disorders.
- Australian youth (aged 18-24) have the highest prevalence of mental illness than any other age group.
- Data from the 2014 Mission Australia’s Youth Survey showed that around one in five (21%) of young people (aged 15-19) met the criteria for a mental health diagnosis.
- Access to treatment is essential as approximately 75% of people admitted to public sector mental health inpatient services improve notably.
MHW2019 events calendar
Connecting with community expo (Devonport)
Anglicare in conjunction with the Mental Health Council of Tasmania will be partnering with other organisations to bring an interactive, fun and informative event to the Devonport community.
The aim of the expo is to:
- Educate the community about the mental health services that are available
- Promote mental health literature
- Provide opportunities for people to think about “their role” in mental health and wellbeing
- Create confidence in a community that is able to check-in and support others
- Develop insight to enable a community member to self-check their mental health
- Keep the conversation about mental health alive in the community.
The expo will cover each aspect of Wellbeing:
- Mental health (taking care of your mind)
- Information and connection (where to get support)
- Physical health (taking care of your body)
Activities on the day will include:
- Live music
- Great prizes and giveaways
- A jumping castle for the kids
- A healthy food session with My Kitchen Rule’s Henry
- Guest speakers
- Discounts from businesses in the Devonport Rooke Street mall
- Pitstop mental and physical health check-in stations
Where: Devonport Mall
When: World Mental Health Day, 10th October
Time: 10am to 3pm
The event is all ages and open to the public.
For more information you can call us on 1800 243 232.
Download your copy of the Connecting with Community expo poster here.
The Wellness Hotel (Rosebery)
Anglicare in conjunction with the Rosebery Community House will be hosting a 5 day community check-in for the Northwest Tasmanian community.
“It takes a village to raise a child and it takes a community to support someone with a mental health issue.”
Activities during the week will consist of:
- Head and shoulder massages
- Yoga and meditation
- A flying doctors youth BBQ
- Life coaching and counselling
- Art therapy
- RAW: a mental health first aid course for older people (registration is required)
Where: Rosebery Community House, 8 Agnes Street, Rosebery
When: 7-11 October
The event is all ages and open to the public.
For more information regarding activity time, please call the Rosebery Community House on 03 6473 1497.
Download your copy of the Hotel Mental Health poster here.
You're invited to join us!
Anglicare Tasmania is hosting a public event in celebration of Mental Health Week 2019, and we would love your organisation to participate! The Rooke Street Mall on Thursdays records the highest volume of 'foot traffic per area' of any other business space in Devonport. It is our hope to create a space in the mall where mental health and wellbeing gets as much exposure as possible. If you think your organisation would like to run a stall or activity on the 10th of October, please complete the below form. You will need to be able to provide resources and staff; however, we can organise tables and chairs. We can't wait to see you there!